Today I was able to sit down and work on my dress, yay!
Yesterday I asked the sew along group if I for sure needed an FBA. One lady suggested sewing the princess seams with a smaller seam allowance and seeing if that helped, and sure enough it did! Instead of a 5/8″ seam allowance which the pattern calls for I did 1/4″ and that made the bodice fit so much better.
So no FBA needed. Which honestly I’m relieved about. Making this dress just got a whole lot easier!
Ok, now onto the rest of my adjustments. I still need to shorten the waist and make the straps thicker. As for raising the armholes and neckline, I’ve decided it might be easier to again sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance since I really only need a teensy bit more coverage.
Oh but first I’m going to retrace my back bodice piece. I had traced both darts not knowing that I only needed the one dart for my size. It’s a little confusing with all those lines and I don’t want to make things harder on myself.
Next I’m going to find some random cotton fabric(I’m sure I have some around here somewhere) and make yet another muslin. I could technically just start on the actual dress but I’m an overly cautious person and I want to make sure the fit is the same with cotton fabric as it is with my tracing fabric. I’d also like to experiment with the straps. All that will have to wait though as I’ve got some housework to catch up on and some hungry kids to feed.
See ya next time!